Today, 5th of June 2013 the whole world celebrates World Environment Day. It is an international event that is celebrated every year in order to bring awareness about the environment and also to encourage people to take action in improving or protecting their environment. This years’s theme is “ Think. Eat. Save.” and it was chosen in order to bring attention to the global waste of food.
This year’s country host is Mongolia and this event is rich with activities such as launching their first wind farm, flash mobs, dances and marathons.
If you want to help the environment, you can help making a difference just by doing small things in your every day routine.
What you can do
2. Don’t waste food. Make compost!
(your old clothes, shoes, electronics) instead of throwing it in the garbage.
4. Don’t waste energy!
( for example if you leave a room, turn off the light, turn off electronics if you leave the house)
5. Save water
( put a shorter cycle on the washing machine, it will also save you money)
6. Buy local
It will help reduce transportation emissions and help local farmers and traders.
7. Go green
If you have a garden you can transform it into a vegetable and fruit garden and if you don’t have a garden you can grow herbs in pots.
8. Buy only food that you need
If you buy big quantities of food you might end up throwing half of it because it expires.
9. Travel by bus or train
Help reduce the carbon omissions whenever you can by choosing the bus instead of your car or motorbike.
10. Bring awareness
By joining a local environmental group you will help bringing awareness and it will make you feel good about yourself.
For more information about this event and any other ideas about helping the environment, visit http://www.unep.org/wed/
- World Environment Day puts spotlight on food waste across the globe (eco-business.com)
- World Environment Day 2013: Celebrities And Nations Come Together To Help Reduce Our ‘Foodprint’ [VIDEO] (hngn.com)
- WED 2013: Food for Thought (raxacollective.wordpress.com)
- How to Celebrate World Environment Day (1millionwomenblog.com)
- Love Food, Hate Waste (energment.wordpress.com)